Saturday 30 March 2013

MAKING WINDMILLS OUT OF SCRAPS FOR KENYA

Night Heron Windmills being made in Kenya


A very good friend of mine once told me about her frustration with how so many students from Africa or other third world countries study overseas and graduate with good degrees but don’t take their knowledge back home to help better their nation or community. She has decided to do something to address this issue and we at KIRUcomics fully support her. We can’t reveal any top secret plans yet but be on the lookout for her. She’s something special.

The reason I bring this up is because, while I was plodding along on the internet, I came across a company called Access:Energy. This company is just so awesome. They remind me of why I got into engineering in the first place. Basically what they do is use renewable energy to provide electricity for the rural off-grid areas in east African countries like Kenya. The most innovative of their product is the “Night Heron” which is a wind turbine made completely from scraps and materials found in Kenya (no imported materials). Not only that but they also work with the local community and Kenyan universities as well as Kenyan manufacturing companies to build their devices.

Night Heron's installations 

As soon as I found out about this, my first thought was I’m sure many Kenyan engineering students could have thought of this idea and worked to deliver it, if they wanted. But unfortunately not many students think like that anymore, they’re all in that “dog-eat-dog” & “everyone-fend-for-themselves” mode. This is what my friend aims to change.

Being from an African country myself, I can testify to how unreliable electricity is in the cities of some of our countries, so I know that the villages and rural areas will be far worse. In Kenya, the rural areas rely on massive battery packs, generators, kerosene and petrol for their electricity (all non renewable sources and harmful to our environment). Access:Energy takes away all that by providing them with a cleaner, safer and cheaper alternative. They definitely get our stamp of approval.

A night heron installed in a local business


For more information on Access energy and how they are working to improve east africa visit their website or see sources.



No comments:

Post a Comment